Saturday 21 September 2019

Padre Pio encourages us when we keep losing our tempers

September 21-22 2019: 25th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Padre Pio encourages us when we keep losing our tempers

One can wonder if we try even half as hard as he did to vanquish our bad habits.

Keeping a calm temper is a challenge no matter our state in life. Parents of small children might especially know the struggle, but it is a difficulty that sneaks into every stage and vocation.

Even Padre Pio had to work on it, but seeing him put so much effort into gaining this virtue, and finding some growth in the process, is encouraging. We might ask ourselves if we give so much effort to growing in virtue, or do we resign ourselves to our bad habits?

He writes:
My one regret is that, without wanting to or noticing that I am doing it, it happens sometimes that I raise my voice a little in matters touching on correction. I know this is a reprehensible weakness, but how can I avoid it, if it happens without my noticing it?

And yet I pray, groan and complain to Our Lord about it; he has not yet answered me fully. Even though I keep a vigilant lookout for this fault, I some-times do what I loathe and want to avoid doing.

And also, in a note to his spiritual director:


That fine lady, sweet-temperedness, seems to be doing a bit better; but I’m not satisfied. I don’t want to lose heart, however. I have made many promises to Jesus and Mary, my Father! Through their help I desire to practice this virtue; and in exchange, other than keeping up the other promises I have made them, I have promised to meditate faithfully on this same virtue and to talk to souls about it.

You see, Father, that I am not indifferent to the prac-tice of this virtue. Help me with your prayers and the prayers of others.


Kathleen N. Hattrup, Aleteia, Sep 17, 2019

***********************************

Simple advice from Benedict XVI on how to be a better mum or dad

The vocation to love is a wonderful thing ...
"Pray often for the help of the Virgin Mary, and Saint Joseph, that they may teach you to receive God’s love as they did."

This is an exhortation from a homily of Pope Benedict XVI at the 2012 World Meeting of Families. It’s worth reading a second time.

Pray for the grace, he says, to learn not how to do great things or accomplish perfect plans but how to receive God’s love.

Simple, but transformative.


He went on to say: "Your vocation is not easy to live, especially today, but the vocation to love is a won-derful thingit is the only force that can truly trans-form the cosmos, the world."

The pope also spelled out some "paths for growing in love":


maintaining a constant relationship with God and participating in the life of the Church, cultivating dialogue,
— respecting the other’s point of view,
being ready for service and patient with the failings of others,
being able to forgive and to seek forgiveness,
overcoming with intelligence and humility any conflicts that may arise,
agreeing on principles of upbringing,
being open to other families, attentive towards the poor, and responsible within civil society.

"These are all elements that build up the family. Live them with courage, and be sure that, insofar as you live your love for each other and for all with the help of God’s grace, you become a living Gospel, a true domestic Church."

Kathleen N. Hattrup, Aleteia, Dec 31, 2017